~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Book Depository

Play-doh (Mummy’s Sharing)

Monday, January 17, 2011

Play-doh has been a popular modelling craft for all the children since my generation. I remember when I was young, my parents always get me some play-doh from supermarket to play with to make different shape of animals. Nowadays more and more interesting play-doh toy sets have been created for the kids, some even have the “machine” to make play-doh burger or hot dog!!

IMG_8869

When I started to serve in children ministry in Australia, I was shocked to know from one of the teachers that they actually made their own play-doh!! After that I realised a lot of moms that we know here actually made their own play-doh for their children as well! According to them home made play-doh is 100% safe even the kids accidently eat it, it is economical and super easy to made. I was told that I can get the recipe to make play-doh from Cream of Tartar bottle.

Recently I see Esrene getting bored with all her toys around so I decided to try making some play-doh for her to play. She actually has some simple play-doh toys we got for her last year which she used it as her cooking toys. It surprised me that actually it is super easy to make and only took me less than 30 min to finish the whole play-doh with two colours! And I think the whole ingredients cost me less than $1!!!

Here’s the result

IMG_8868 

The texture of play-doh is something new to little Esrene, so she doesn’t really know how to play with it. Evenafter I show her she is a bit reluctant to “mess” the dough with her hands, just using her play-doh cutter to poke on the dough. I hope soon she will learn how to enjoy playing this fun toy.

IMG_8872

If you are interested to try out your home made play-doh, here’s the recipe

Ingredients:

2 cups plain flour

4 tbs Cream of tartar

2 tbs cooking oil

1 cup salt

2 cups water

food colouring

Method:

Mix the ingredients in a saucepan, stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture congeals.

 

I actually separate the colouring from the ingredients, after the mixture congeals, I separate until 2 portion, and knee the colour I want into each mixture.

IMG_8875Hua” (flower) I made for her using play-doh which she loves it so much, keep holding on it.

0 comments: