~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Book Depository

My name is....

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Yes, finally daddy mummy decided on my name!!!! It took them close to half a year to decide on my English name!! They decided to call me Esrene Ern-Chi Siu.

Mummy came out the Chinese name few months ago. 恩(Ern) means grace, 绮(Chi) means beautiful. Mommy said I am the result of God's beautiful grace. So she named me 恩绮. Why in English is Ern-chi, why not En Qi or other spelling? Mommy said she has to make sure that Australian can pronounce my name correctly, at least close to the sound in Chinese. So she decided to write a few versions of name, put in front of her colleagues, asked them to pronounce each name and choose the one they can pronounce closer to mandarin. Daddy mummy put a dash in the middle of my mandarin name to form one middle name, if not in Australia, people will think I have two middle name.

Esrene is the name they spend the most time trying to come out with. Mummy wants the name that carries the meaning peace and hope. So Daddy have to search online and in baby names books to find some names with these meanings. Daddy came out this name by combining two names together: Espe + Serene. Espe in Latin means hope and Serene means peace. Mummy said I will be born in a time of uncertainty. She hope that I will be a child that will bring hope and peace to our family and in future I will be the one who will bring God's hope and peace to the people around me.

3 comments:

Julia said...

nice name :)
all the best for your delivery

Angeline said...

Hi Selwyn & Ida,
I like the name you have chosen for your baby :) Have a safe delivery (anytime soon now!) and God bless! Remember to post lots and lots of pics ya!

Me! said...

Thanks everyone!