~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Book Depository

Mummy's breastfeeding experience

Friday, April 24, 2009

Breastfeeding doesn't come naturally, I have to agree with it. To learn how to let the baby properly latch on to the breast is a skill that needs time to learn, I believe all the mom will agree with me in this. My first experience of breastfeeding is "ouch, it hurts". My milk came in only at the 5th day. During the first 4 days, Esrene has been drinking colostrum. She was doing well for the first 2 days but after that this poor girl was so hungry that she started to get really fussy and wanted to latch on my breast all the time. Midwives told me this is the way bb tried to help bring the milk by stimulating the breast as much as possible. I was told to let her latched on as often as she wants until my milk comes in. However, with the wrong latching and frequency of feeding, my nipples started to crack and at the end it bleed! I was shocked to see Esrene's mouth full with blood during the feeding and to see the bleed in dropping off from the milk pump. My hospital is a fully breastfeeding hospital, thus I was not allowed to feed bb water and not encourage to give formula as complimentary before 6 weeks. I was so stress seeing Esrene cried for hungry while having bad sore and bleeding nipples.

Thank God on the 5th day when I went to hospital for Esrene's blood test, a midwife who attended to me, looked at my condition and suggested me to use breast shield and express milk while letting the nipples to heal. We were even taught how to finger feed Esrene with the express milk to avoid using teats. Suddenly I see the "light" in breastfeeding. I also started to see a happy and satisfy baby after my milk started to flow. However, latching is still a problem for me. I still have to rely on breast shield to avoid sore nipples.

I booked myself into a breastfeeding class offered by the hospital (FOC), and thank God I managed to get in within 3 days time! Normally the waiting list is at least 1-2 months! It was another eye-opener for me after attending the class. I was taught my the lactation consultant on the correct way to let the bb latch on the breast, how to position Esrene and guide her so avoid her from sucking on my nipples. This full day class made a big different to me and Esrene. I stop using nipple shields and can fetch straight from the breast. Here are some of the things I learned during this whole week:

1. To attach the baby into the breast, baby's chin need to point at the breast and our nipple above baby's top lip. In another way, nipples are directly facing bb's nose. Use one finger to press on the breast to tip the nipple up right while waiting for bb to open the mouth. Make sure the baby respond with wide-open mouth and tongue down before pushing her towards our breast.

2. Correct latching of bb on our breast will make us feel good when we breastfeed. Any pinching pain is an indication of poor latching. Detach the child and start again. Don't be afraid to let the child cry.

3. When the bb fall asleep on the breast, press on their cheek or squeeze on our breast to see her respond. This is an indicator to ask the bb whether she needs more milk or have enough. She will respond with sucking if she needs more.

4. To take the child out from the breast, use our little finger to break the sucking at the edge of their mouth. Never pull off directly to avoid hurting the nipples.

5. Apply some hind milk and a finger tip of linolin cream on the nipples after feed will help to heal the soreness very effectively.

6. Express out the milk after feed will avoid engorgement and help to stock up the milk for future, especially for those mom who plan to go back to work after a few months. An empty breast should be the one that is soft and feel good.

7. Breast pump make a big different to express milk. I was given a Medela mini electrical pump which has simple max & min suction function. I was also introduced to Medela Swing, an electrical pump that mimic the suction of bb with stimulation and then expression. After tried on both the pump, I can only say that if you plan to use the pump frequently each day go for Medela Swing. Spend some money and take care of your breast. Also with the Medela Swing I don't have to bend my body while expressing milk. (By the way, I am not trying to sell Medela breast pump).

0 comments: